"This is Africa miss"


Around 12 hours agon when my familie left me I thought that the world would crash at my feet. The idea of crossing a whole continent, totally freaked me out. Everything passed by like I was watching a movie. Standing at the cash exchange the lady at the counter was asking the question three times before I realized she was talking to me. Then at the security controle I forgot to empty my pockets, twice. Thank god I made it to the right plane. 

All flights are always too long, with annoying people and dirty food, so was mine. While arriving in johannesburg everything was still a big blur. I walked passed the visa point.. Apparently i didnt need one, met a professor from LUMC and within two breaths I was outside with my bag. Totally confused a guy took good care of the situation took my luggage and before I knew it he showed me the way to the airport shuttle. That sounds friendly but after 2 min he was asking for money.. I was like.. Ok here is 20Rand (1,5€), but he wasn't satisfied with that.. He wanted more money.. "Give me like 200Rand" he said. I told him that I wasn't going to give that much money for a 2 minute walk and he started to get angry. Luckily the driver from the hotel arrived and got really really mad at the man. "miss you need to be more carefull, this is africa, everyone is trying to get money out of you". I was too tired to respond.. 

It was a 5 min drive to the Premier hotel, where I got a warm welcome.  The room was pretty big and luxuriouse. Normally I would be jumping on the bed and hugging al the pillows like an insane child, but that wasn't so much fun all by myself. I went downstairs to get some food and a South African wine.. After a few minutes a business man from Israel came sitting next to me.. We spoke a bit and then i decided that I wan't into company so I asked the waiter for my bill. I had to pay 15 Rand but they couldn't change my 50Rand so the man payed my drink. I told him that wasn't nesceccary, but he insistead. I wished him a good night and walked up to the elevator. All of a sudden he was behind me in the elevator, I went all the way to the back, trying to show him distance and when we arrived at his floor he didn't get off. He said "my back is hurting from the flight and so must yours.. Let's go back to your room and do something about that" ...euhhmmmzzz... I think my mouth fell open and when the elevator door opened I run. "No thank you, I refusse the massage". I was so shocked that I runned the wrong way and hide behind a pole afraid that he would come after me. When I heard the elevator going down and I heard no one on the hallway I left my hiding spot and run to my room, locked the door and started to laugh... Is this Africa?! 



Reacties